6 Ways Jake Failed on Scandal: “Even Evil Deserves a Second Chance” – Nov. 5, 2015
If perpetual runner-up Jake Ballard wants another chance with Olivia Pope, he did nothing to help his case in the latest episode. Olivia had a trying night. She had to feign surprise when Fitz told her about her father’s mysterious release from prison. Papa Pope orchestrated the murder of Fitz’ son because, well, he was feeling salty that day and gives side-eye to his daughter’s romantic choices. Fitz holds a grudge, so Liv couldn’t figure out a way to explain that she arranged the Karma Houdini’s escape—even if it was to halt POTUS’ impeachment hearing. All she wanted to do was go home and enjoy her usual dinner of a bottle of wine, but Jake was there being his usual annoying self. Here are 6 reasons Jake was a pain in the neck.
- He invited himself over. Olivia was abducted from her apartment and for a while it was planted with spyware (courtesy of Jake). If she doesn’t qualify for Secret Service protection, she should at least hire burly bodyguards—or Huck, who would not tolerate mopey lurkers.
- He exhibited his unrefined palate. Not only did Jake help himself to Liv’s wine, he griped about it. Jake, whose taste probably leans toward a 40 and Funyuns has no business critiquing wine and should just put a cork in it.
- Jake was a crybaby. Rowan killed Jake’s wife, the extra who showed up five minutes ago. Somehow it’s Olivia’s fault. Blah, blah, blah, betrayal. Shut up, Jake.
- Jake cast the first stone. For someone, who was part of the Vitamin B6 black-ops, he is way too judgy about murder. You don’t see Huck or Charlie taking the moral high ground. Jake not only gunned down James Novack in cold blood, he whacked Shelby Moss and Vanessa Chandler to make James’ assassination look like a carjacking. Shut up again, Jake.
- He talked trash about Liv. “You just keep going on, spreading like a plague.” Nobody talks about Olivia Pope that way. “Good day, Sir! … I said, good day!”
- He was creepy. After insulting Liv and getting kicked out, he went in for an unwanted kiss, which Liv wiped off when he was gone. Fitz kisses don’t get wiped off, Jake.
The only thing Jake did right this episode was to avoid trying to “dance,” because that is a spectacle nobody needs to witness again.
Scandal airs Thursdays at 9/8c on ABC