7 Reasons Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce’s Barbara Rules
Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce’s is smart, funny and sexy, but Season 2 got even more delicious with the addition of Retta. Abby McCarthy has almost everything but she was missing a worthy adversary until she met SheShe magazine’s editor Barbara. The newest GG2D lady is a delight for many reasons. Let’s list some of them.
- Barbara is played by Retta. The actress whose Parks and Rec character Donna Meagle joined Tom Haverford to give us these words of wisdom: Treat Yo’ Self and changed our lives forever.
- Barbara sets boundaries. She may not have an office door, or even an office, but she improvises with a partition that would impress Les Nessman. When Jo overshared about her ex-husband’s fondness for porn and her plans to dominate him with her boobs, Barbara politely but firmly let Jo know that it was TMI. Even Jo realized that she’s said too much which is impressive. Let’s hope they become friends.
- She treats Phoebe like she has a brain. In a recent episode, Delia implied that Phoebe is stupid (she apologized, but still). The former model just got her GED and Barbara invited her to write about her experiences for SheShe. Phoebe is the sweetest and most level-headed character and it’s good to see her get some full-fledged appreciation. Let’s hope they also become friends.
- Barbara knows when to put Abby in check. It all started when Barbara took issue with her fellow divorcee’s column which makes marital breakups sound fun and glamorous. Abby blew Barbara off during the meeting before she found out that Babs would be her editor. When she caught Abby stealing Phoebe’s thunder at the prom and then making light of Phoebe’s GED accomplishment, Barbara let Abby have it. (Abby apologized but still.)
- She tells the truth. “Sea urchins? White people will eat anything.”
- She’s doesn’t tolerate party crashers and is a good bouncer. “Who let Ian Ziering in? I’ll be right back.” Even Barbara is infallible: for some reason, she let Janice Dickinson into the bash.
- Barbara knows how to pull off a totally rad ’80s theme party. She shot down Abby’s “under the sea” idea for Phoebe’s prom because, let’s face it, mermen are stupid. Barbara also has superb costume ideas: “I’m gonna go full Cyndi Lauper with a bit of Sheena Easton with some pink frosty lipgloss. When the working day is done, Barbara just wants to have fun.
Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce airs Tuesdays at 10/9c on Bravo.