10 Reasons to Love Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce’s Alanna Ubach
So many of you chose Jo on Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce as the character you most wanted to hang out with that we wanted to find out more about actress Alanna Ubach. Now that we did, we love the actress as much as we love Jo. Here”s why:
- Ubach is too interesting to be typecast. You’d never guess that voluptuous sexpot Isabel in Meet the Fockers and bitter, boozy, bawdy, butt-baring Brit Trudy on Californication are played by the same actress.
- She can steal a scene even if Robert De Niro is in it.
- Ubach is a tiny powerhouse. You gotta love a petite woman who doesn’t get lost in a crowd of glamazons. (I may or may not be fun-sized.)
- Ubach seamlessly filled a void when Janeane Garofalo’s sarcastic and tightly-wound Lyla exited. It’s not that Lyla wasn’t entertaining, it’s just that Ubach’s acerbic, brazen and lovable Jo makes you forget that she wasn’t there in the beginning.
- Ubach has other creative talents: she is a writer and director.
- She’s also a producer.
- Ubach is eminently rewindable. Take that yelp when she spots Jake standing at the door on Thanksgiving. It’s so fast that you have to rewind or put it on slow-mo to savor it.
- She has a cool Twitter account. She posts funny pictures of family, friends, dogs and Peanuts comics, plus she retweets fans.
- Ubach (who is also a voice-over artist) can do a variety of accents: Cuban, Israeli, British or sorority sister. Whatever, Meryl Streep.
- She admits to embarrassing things like this: “I was so naive when I began acting, professionally. I had only three wishes: V.I.P. tickets to the Beastie Boys whenever I wanted, to feel tall and blond, and to star in a cop series with Adrian Zmed. God help us all!”